Sponsor Directory

New Rotax Suction Housing

Moderator: PPI

New Rotax Suction Housing

Postby PPI » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:52 pm

Pacific Powertrain is proud to announce the release of our new aluminum cast suction housing, intake block, and stomp grate. These parts are specifically designed for use with the 150hp, 200hp, 250hp Rotax 1503 engine platform. This is the only suction developed with the help and approval of BRP engineering to be used by Original Equipment Manufacturers using the 1503 platform in the welded aluminum jet boats that they produce. These parts are 100% built in the U.S.A., and are specifically designed to handle the extreme demands of shallow white water usage.

The suction housing is cast and machined to our demanding specifications out of A356 aluminum alloy. Once the suction finishes the casting and machining process we have each one of them heat treated to give us the flexibility that is required to meet the rigorous demands of our industry. PPI’s intake block is machined out of 6061 T6 aluminum billet to insure the strength and the consistency that PPI demands in our finished intake block. Like PPI’s entire line of stomp grates, the Rotax stomp Grate is 100% constructed of steel, with the bars cut out of T1 steel to ensure strength and reliability. The stomp grate has a 15 bar design with 3/8” spacing to help ensure that as little debris as possible will enter the pump. The stomp grate and intake block are designed to work in unison, the intake block, is designed in such a manner as to allow the stomp grate to recess into it ensuring that there is nothing hanging below the bottom of the boat. The stomp grate design combined with our heavy duty stainless steel Impeller, and optional stainless steel wear ring combine to help with the longevity and performance of the Rotax pump used in our package.

All of PPI’s Rotax engine packages used in recreational, and government vessels come with a 3 year 480 hour warranty against defects in workmanship and materials at no extra cost to the end user. In a commercial setting, these packages come with a one year 480 hour warranty against defects in workmanship and materials. The next time you are looking for a new build, ask your builder about the availability of a Rotax engine package in your boat.
Attachments
finished1.jpg
IMG_E0252.jpg
Forum Sponsor
509-751-1803
PPImarine.com
PPI
Forum Sponsor

Re: New Rotax Suction Housing

Postby Gnomoney1234 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:32 pm

Looks like a great upgrade. How much is it? Can we order through PPI WEBSITE?
Gnomoney1234
Deck Swab

Postby Snake River » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:19 pm

The suction housing is available, and it would be something that you would need to contact us directly to discuss your application. You need to remember that the suction is one of several components that make up our complete intake system, and was specifically designed to work with the components that make up our intake system. With that said we will sell the suction separately as a replacement part. Our number is 509-751-1803.
Snake River
Beer Boy

Postby Gnomoney1234 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:09 pm

Snake River wrote:The suction housing is available, and it would be something that you would need to contact us directly to discuss your application. You need to remember that the suction is one of several components that make up our complete intake system, and was specifically designed to work with the components that make up our intake system. With that said we will sell the suction separately as a replacement part. Our number is 509-751-1803.

Besides strength, is there a statistically significant performance improvement with the new housing?
Gnomoney1234
Deck Swab

Postby BigCSS » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:35 pm

Yes, AHusk can attest to it. He recently had his fabricated intake replaced with one of these. Hopefully he will chime in.
Team White Water Winnebago
BigCSS
First Mate

Postby Ahusk » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:38 pm

The new PPI housing is legit. After I get a chance to load test it I will write a review, but so far I am very happy.
Ahusk
Captain

Postby PPI » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:39 pm

Performance increase is a difficult thing to state when nobody else has tested their housings in 21’ boats that are almost 2400lbs. We can say that with our testing of different designs it was difficult to minimize or eliminate cavitation when at a dead stop to slamming the throttle to WOT. Especially while maintaining a tight bar spacing to minimize debris in the pump.

Ahusk who installed your housing? I am also curious what your boat is?
Forum Sponsor
509-751-1803
PPImarine.com
PPI
Forum Sponsor

Postby Ahusk » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:56 pm

PPI wrote:Performance increase is a difficult thing to state when nobody else has tested their housings in 21’ boats that are almost 2400lbs. We can say that with our testing of different designs it was difficult to minimize or eliminate cavitation when at a dead stop to slamming the throttle to WOT. Especially while maintaining a tight bar spacing to minimize debris in the pump.

Sent you a pm.
Ahusk
Captain

Postby Gnomoney1234 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:35 am

PPI wrote:Performance increase is a difficult thing to state when nobody else has tested their housings in 21’ boats that are almost 2400lbs. We can say that with our testing of different designs it was difficult to minimize or eliminate cavitation when at a dead stop to slamming the throttle to WOT. Especially while maintaining a tight bar spacing to minimize debris in the pump.

PPI, I think your response is consistent with what I would have predicted. I totally agree that even in a brand new boat using the rotax and PPI JET SYSTEM, you cannot eliminate all slippage/cavitation from dead stop to WOT (unless [maybe] it had electric trim tabs set all the way down to keep the front from lifting so much on the TAKEOFF). Besides that I can't see total elimination of cavitation from dead stop to WOT.
Gnomoney1234
Deck Swab

Postby Gnomoney1234 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:43 am

PPI wrote:Performance increase is a difficult thing to state when nobody else has tested their housings in 21’ boats that are almost 2400lbs. We can say that with our testing of different designs it was difficult to minimize or eliminate cavitation when at a dead stop to slamming the throttle to WOT. Especially while maintaining a tight bar spacing to minimize debris in the

PPI, my original question would be about the performance test between the same boat with rotax and PPI JET CONFIGURATION but only difference is the new aluminum housing versus the other material hard plastic?).

Is there significant improvement on Dead stop to WOT between the two housings material?
Gnomoney1234
Deck Swab

Postby Ahusk » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:50 pm

Gnomoney1234 wrote:
PPI wrote:Performance increase is a difficult thing to state when nobody else has tested their housings in 21’ boats that are almost 2400lbs. We can say that with our testing of different designs it was difficult to minimize or eliminate cavitation when at a dead stop to slamming the throttle to WOT. Especially while maintaining a tight bar spacing to minimize debris in the

PPI, my original question would be about the performance test between the same boat with rotax and PPI JET CONFIGURATION but only difference is the new aluminum housing versus the other material hard plastic?).

Is there significant improvement on Dead stop to WOT between the two housings material?

I don't think your current pump is plastic other than the adapter from the transom to the actual pump Barrell. The suction housing is where the difference is. The PPI suction housing is cast and has a much larger suction surface that anything else I have seen. I called around about some of the other options and they aren't even close to the same size.
Ahusk
Captain

Return to Pacific Powertrain