Sponsor Directory

SDR vs HTRll reverse bucket

Moderator: ATM

SDR vs HTRll reverse bucket

Postby MTviper 350 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:18 pm

I know this is not a new subject by any means but I'm fighting my SD309 recycling the water in reverse and cavitating or ventilating maybe so I lose nearly all my ability to backup if I have too fight a little wind or current. Ive got a separate lever for forward/reverse and I've tried to mess with how far back I pull the reverse lever to try and not shoot the water straight back at the boat and more down but I don't think it helps at all.
I've read through this forum throughly and some people say the HTRll upgrade is the best thing that happened to their boat and some say the same for the SDR. There are few comparisons between the two directly. It also seems like it's a big project to replace my HTRll with a SDR setup.
Does anyone know "Paul Harveys rest of the story"?? Or am I maxed out for reverse performance for my pump?
Thanks guys for any help.
MTviper 350
Deck Swab

Re: SDR vs HTRll reverse bucket

Postby LundNW » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:37 am

I have an SDR on my SD309 and have no issue with reverse. In fact the boats backs up very easily in just about any conditions, i find that i can dock easier then a prop boat can as you can slide the boat almost side ways.
I never found a cavitation issue because its recycling the water.
NWjet 19.6 Freedom, 5.7L efi, SD309AT.
LundNW
Boat Enthusiast

Postby MTviper 350 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:13 pm

LundNW, if you are in reverse and apply too much throttle does the reverse bucket fly up and into forward and the boat jumps ahead?

Mine will do this every time but generally I have started recycling so much air more throttle just makes it worse.

Thanks for the help LundNW
MTviper 350
Deck Swab

Postby tnairn » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:26 pm

Mine has not, i belive you have your bucket adjusted too high it should drop low enough that th drops below the center point

In example.... If 3oclock is level then it sit around 4oclock to always be pushed down in reverse
tnairn
Master Baiter

Postby LundNW » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:02 pm

MTviper 350 wrote:LundNW, if you are in reverse and apply too much throttle does the reverse bucket fly up and into forward and the boat jumps ahead?

Mine will do this every time but generally I have started recycling so much air more throttle just makes it worse.

No never, i can hit the throttle hard and the bucket stays in reverse. It also doesn't cavitate or doesn't seem to unless i hit it so hard that the back end lift out of the water. Then i would expect it to cavitate.
NWjet 19.6 Freedom, 5.7L efi, SD309AT.
LundNW
Boat Enthusiast

Postby Jetdaddy77 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:56 pm

MTviper 350 wrote:LundNW, if you are in reverse and apply too much throttle does the reverse bucket fly up and into forward and the boat jumps ahead?

Looking at the schematics, it looks like the HTRII has a brake box on it. If that is the case, it is out of adjustment. It should not allow the bucket to pop up in reverse, or fall down when in forward for that matter. The HTRII looks almost identical to the clamshell on a multi stage pump. I have caused cavitation in reverse with my Kodiak and Hamilton pumps, but nothing that is catastrophic, or even more than minorly annoying. I have no experience with A.T. pumps or their reverse, but they are considered to be more prone to cavitation as a whole, so I'd expect this to be the case for airated water under the boat from reverse...
'93 North River 19', Kodiak 350, 3 stage, and plenty of smart marks sold
'04 Boice Titan 22', Stroked 6.7 LS, Hami 212
Jetdaddy77
Master Baiter

Postby cbc7 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:57 am

The HTRII is the best reverse assemble for the sd309-312. However both the SDR and HTRII will both cause cavitation if throttled to high in reverse just like all reverse systems AT or Hamilton. For low speed response you can't beat the HTRII with a dual lever control. The best reverse performance is to start at idle and slowly advance the throttle to just before it cavitates, on my boat it is about 1000 Rpm. If I remember correctly it is about 4mph in reverse.
cbc7
Novice Baiter

Postby savage-shtr » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:54 pm

All I know is that the "best" reverse bucket and nozzle on my 312 blows 4 peckered Billy Goats!
savage-shtr
Captain

Postby Jetdaddy77 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:34 pm

savage-shtr wrote:All I know is that the "best" reverse bucket and nozzle on my 312 blows 4 peckered Billy Goats!

:Laugh1: I would not want that job! :Drop:
I bet a "high thrust" or "split duct" would help your goat problem...
'93 North River 19', Kodiak 350, 3 stage, and plenty of smart marks sold
'04 Boice Titan 22', Stroked 6.7 LS, Hami 212
Jetdaddy77
Master Baiter

Postby Rookie-33 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:36 am

HTRII dual lever has much more control and response over SDR single lever, and I tried adjusting my SDR way too many times. HTRII system seams a lot stronger too. SDR is a flimsy cable right to the bucket
Rookie-33
Deck Swab

Return to American Turbine