Sponsor Directory

Does reverse clean out maneuver work for American Turbine je

Moderator: ATM

Does reverse clean out maneuver work for American Turbine je

Postby sonyavdz » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:57 pm

Just purchased my first jet boat and have read about the reverse clean out maneuver to use if something is clogging your jets. I am wondering if this method works for American Turbine jets? I specifically have an AT-309
Attachments
FB_IMG_1443835004532.jpg
sonyavdz
Deck Swab

Re: Does reverse clean out maneuver work for American Turbin

Postby hilljackian » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:57 am

Yes, sometimes... There are no guarantees that traveling in reverse and shutting down will clear debris from any pump. But sometimes it works and saves you a swim. As has been discussed, just be careful to get that motor down to idle before you shut it off to protect against "hydraulicing" or running the motor backwards and sucking water into the cylinders.

Buy or make a grate-rake so you can remove debris form the intake while standing on the swim deck, and make sure your bilge pump is in working condition if your cleanout is inside the transom and you end up having to pull the cleanout cover (remove the key from the ignition before you put your hand in the pump).
1984 Weldcraft, 24-FT, 460 Ford, Hamilton 1031
1996 HeliArc ProSport 20-FT, 350CID/340HP RamJet, Legend Pump *SOLD*
hilljackian
Master Baiter

Postby SWAT » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:02 am

I have had some success with this, not saying it works every time but does help when something is pushed up against the grate. Doesn't work well if it has already passed through the grate and is in the pump. Good thing the 309 has that clean out port. Be careful not to loose the wing nuts or your SOL
SWAT
Forum Enthusiast

Postby sonyavdz » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:54 pm

Thanks. Hadn't read about not shutting down until Idol.

I will search if I can find anything in forums about making a grate rake. Seems to be pretty easy clean out but would be nice to not have to remove screws (and possibly lose one).

This is my boat (my hubby wants NOTHING to do with it) so learning all the tips/tricks to keep her running for years to come is up to me
sonyavdz
Deck Swab

Postby hilljackian » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:53 pm

The grate rake will allow you to clean off the intake grate surface, the clean out will allow you access to the impeller. Although you can sort of get to the backside of the intake grate through the clean out, you should have a grate rake handy. Most people make them out of PVC piping and epoxy a properly sized rake head onto the PVC. If you put some thought into it you can make it in a way that it will break down into pieces and stow easily in the boat. I am sure if you search this forum you will find some threads. While they do sell over the counter rakes looking at your picture I would be concerned that you have a far reach for those OTS models. KEM/Kodiak has a one for sale, if you don't want to make one and don't mind paying for the convenience of OTS, take some measurements (vertical distance from the swim deck to the level of the intake grate and horizontal from the back of the swim deck edge to the front of the intake grate) and give them a call.

When I have experienced a loss of performance due to debris in the pump my progression was 1.) do the reverse trick a couple of times to see if it cleared. If not then 2.) use the grate rake. If still having problems then 3.) pull the cleanout.
1984 Weldcraft, 24-FT, 460 Ford, Hamilton 1031
1996 HeliArc ProSport 20-FT, 350CID/340HP RamJet, Legend Pump *SOLD*
hilljackian
Master Baiter

Postby sonyavdz » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:12 pm

Thanks for info. I'm going to have my hubby make me a rake out of some PVC we have laying around and a garden rake. You are right that it is quite a stretch to the intake so I think this will definitely come in handy.

Very grateful for these forums so I can learn before I go out and make mistakes. I'm sure I will still make them but at least now I will have an idea of what to do :P
sonyavdz
Deck Swab

Postby sonyavdz » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:00 pm

Made my rake today. Have $21 into it. Most expensive part was $13 for the rake head.

I tested it out from back of boat and it seems like it will work well and it disassembles easy for storage.

Hope I never have to use it

20151007_154146.1.jpg
Home made grate rake
Attachments
20151007_154336.2.jpg
Quick assembly
sonyavdz
Deck Swab

Postby akhunter67 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:09 pm

I don't see pvc and a rake that flexible doing much except grass and that usually end up around the shaft. The one i bought would dislodge gravel in my grate . Hope it works ok! I hope also that it is schedule 40 pvc!
akhunter67
Forum Enthusiast

Postby sonyavdz » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:22 pm

I debated on that rake head or another but decided on this one. Will swap out the head for the other if it doesn't work.

It is 40 and not flimsy at all.

We shall see
sonyavdz
Deck Swab

Postby akhunter67 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:55 am

That sounds good. I don't know,who made mine it had a 3 prong rake on the end and was 1/8 diameter stiff wire on a metal pole that folded . I have never had to get in the water to clean out the grate. Buy I have had to move a load of stuff to the bow and get the screwdriver out and go through the clean out a few times. Going under may have been easier but with water temperature around 38 to 40 degrees I am not going in ! Lol. Are you planning on running in mostly lakes or running rivers also ? The main thing is have fun!
akhunter67
Forum Enthusiast

Postby sonyavdz » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:26 pm

It will be about 50/50 use between the two. I live about 4 miles from Grand River and have a place on the lake
sonyavdz
Deck Swab

Postby akhunter67 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:27 pm

Sounds like you will get a,lot of use out of it that is great!
akhunter67
Forum Enthusiast

Postby swgrguy » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:31 pm

does a 9.9 kicker give enough reverse to clear weeds from the grate on a white pump?
:chicken:
Swgrguy
2008 22 ft project boat
Berkeley and 8.1 EFI
swgrguy
Buoy Boy

Postby river wolf » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:06 pm

I just got back from a moose hunt and my bass pro ball cap came of and got sucked on to the grate was able to clear with the reverse shut down tecinque
river wolf
Beer Boy

Postby sonyavdz » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:35 pm

Wow, glad it worked for you! :Drink:
sonyavdz
Deck Swab

Postby hammertime92 » Wed May 17, 2017 4:23 pm

I just stole my wifes three prong garden rake. Works fine off the swim grid...
hammertime92
Beer Boy

Postby smitty » Wed May 17, 2017 8:37 pm

Friend has the swim-step mounted kicker, centered, on his Duckworth. Kicker prop is nearly level with the jet nozzle. He claims 7 out of 10 times, he can clear pump / grate debris by running the kicker in reverse (back flushes the jet).
Student driver. Stay clear.
smitty
First Mate

Postby mikemmm » Thu May 18, 2017 9:35 am

hilljackian wrote:Yes, sometimes... There are no guarantees that traveling in reverse and shutting down will clear debris from any pump. But sometimes it works and saves you a swim. As has been discussed, just be careful to get that motor down to idle before you shut it off to protect against "hydraulicing" or running the motor backwards and sucking water into the cylinders.

Buy or make a grate-rake so you can remove debris form the intake while standing on the swim deck, and make sure your bilge pump is in working condition if your cleanout is inside the transom and you end up having to pull the cleanout cover (remove the key from the ignition before you put your hand in the pump).

Since you are new to jetboats I will add the best way is to avoid debris getting in.i have found that running on plane and really flat on plane I do not pick up as many fall leaves. Pick em up like crazy going slow
mikemmm
Buoy Boy

Postby Kirt » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:08 pm

I have a hj212 and put a hatch extension on it so I do not get water in the boat an also made a hook to push stuff out of the grate through the hatch on the pump. I put a rope and handle on it so I would not drop it. Had to work the bend so it would go in the hatch. Beats swimming under boat. Obviously shut off motor. I did go to a stomp grate because there is lots of hydrila on the Potomac river
Attachments
image.jpg
Kirt
Deck Swab

Return to American Turbine